Welcome to the City of South Burlington's Planning & Zoning Department. Our mission is to help the community, as it evolves, to meet its vision through strong community engagement; long-range planning across the community; and consistent, transparent, and timely development review. We strive to provide clear, friendly customer service to all.
On October 25, the City Council published a warning notice for a public hearing on a draft Interim Zoning Bylaw. The public hearing will take place on Tuesday, November 13, 6:30 pm, at City Hall.
Staff, on October 1st and 15th 2018, gave a two-part presentation on development trends in South Burlington to the City Council.
Vision & Goals
The City's 2016 Comprehensive Plan lays out four principal goals for the community:
Here and Into the Future, South Burlington is...
- Affordable and Community Strong - creating a robust sense of place and opportunity for our residents and visitors.
- Walkable - Bicycle and pedestrian friendly with safe transportation infrastructure.
- Green & Clean - Emphasizing sustainability for long-term viability of a clean and green South Burlington
- Opportunity Oriented - Being a supportive and engaged member of the larger regional and statewide community.
Beneath each of these goals, of course, are several sub-goals addressing affordability, strong neighborhoods, quality services & infrastructure, energy, natural resources, and economic development. We invite you to take a look at the City's Comprehensive Plan, to see where South Burlington is focused as a community.
Planning & Development Review
The Department's work falls, generally, into two areas:
- Long Range Planning: land use & transportation plans, preparing the City's Land Development Regulations, natural resources work, etc... [related links: Planning Commission, Bicycle & Pedestrian Committee, Comprehensive Plan, Ongoing Projects, Completed Projects]
- Development Review & Permitting: review of proposed development, signs, and permits for construction of all types [related links: Development Review Board, Permit Application Forms, Land Development Regulations, FAQs]
We're located at City Hall, 575 Dorset Street, South Burlington, VT. City Hall is open Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Please note that Thursday mornings 8:00 am to 12:30 pm, we are open by appointment only.