Welcome to the City of South Burlington's Planning & Zoning Department. Our mission is to help the community, as it evolves, to meet its vision through strong community engagement; long-range planning across the community; and consistent, transparent, and timely development review. We strive to provide clear, friendly customer service to all.
- Proposed Amendments to the Land Development Regulations. Several amendments to the City's Land Development Regulations are under consideration by the Planning Commission & City Council. Please select the link above for information and the status of each, including public hearing dates and locations.
- Interim Zoning.
- On August 9, 2019 the City Council held a public hearing and voted to extend the Interim Zoning bylaw and its related Map of Excluded Areas for a period of 3 months to November 13, 2019. To submit an application for development under the Bylaw, please complete an application and deliver it to the Department of Planning & Zoning.
- On August 1, each of the groups working on Interim Zoning projects made a presentation to a joint Planning Commission/City Council meeting. The Committees each prepared a two-page report in advance of the meeting. More information about the work of the Transfer of Development IZ Committee, Open Space IZ Committee, and Planning Commission under Interim Zoning, visit their committee/project sites.
- Searchable Archive of DRB Decisions, DRB Support Documents, Zoning Permits, and Sign Permits now online! We are thrilled to make available the results of a year-long effort to digitize Planning & Zoning Records. Searchable records of DRB (and their predecessor, the ZBA) decisions and supplemental materials from the 1960s forward, zoning permits (starting with most recent, presently available back to 2017), permanent sign permits (back to 2007) and infrastructure and landscape bonds are now all available.
- Staff, on October 1st and 15th 2018, gave a two-part presentation on development trends in South Burlington to the City Council.
- On Election Day 2018, students from St. Michael's College, led by Professor Vince Bolduc, conducted exit poll interviews on a range of subject areas in South Burlington. The results of this poll were presented to City Council on February 4th.
Vision & Goals
The City's 2016 Comprehensive Plan lays out four principal goals for the community:
Here and Into the Future, South Burlington is...
- Affordable and Community Strong - creating a robust sense of place and opportunity for our residents and visitors.
- Walkable - Bicycle and pedestrian friendly with safe transportation infrastructure.
- Green & Clean - Emphasizing sustainability for long-term viability of a clean and green South Burlington
- Opportunity Oriented - Being a supportive and engaged member of the larger regional and statewide community.
Beneath each of these goals, of course, are several sub-goals addressing affordability, strong neighborhoods, quality services & infrastructure, energy, natural resources, and economic development. We invite you to take a look at the City's Comprehensive Plan, to see where South Burlington is focused as a community.
Planning & Development Review
The Department's work falls, generally, into two areas:
- Long Range Planning: land use & transportation plans, preparing the City's Land Development Regulations, natural resources work, etc... [related links: Planning Commission, Bicycle & Pedestrian Committee, Comprehensive Plan, Ongoing Projects, Completed Projects]
- Development Review & Permitting: review of proposed development, signs, and permits for construction of all types [related links: Development Review Board, Permit Application Forms, Land Development Regulations, FAQs]
We're located at City Hall, 575 Dorset Street, South Burlington, VT. City Hall is open Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. If you're interested in a project, we encourage you to contact us and set up an appointment to meet and walk you through the project and process!